Saturday, March 29, 2008

Returned From Hiatus...Why You Don't Give Rides to Strangers...

I've been on a 14 day hiatus or so and have finally returned with updates.

Last week, as I was leaving my apartment I see a rather large, bald-headed man running down the street. "No big deal," I thought. People jog around here all the time, I think. So he stops near me as I get in my car and he waves at me, I notice he isn't wearing shoes...I drive forward a little, his arms drop in frustration. So, I stop.
"What's up?"
"Dude, can you give me a ride? I'm only going two blocks, just take me down to 17th."

I did mention this man was huge, right? And kind of rather scary looking. Ok, so he gets in the car and he is shit-faced. My god, was the man drunk. This was evident because he told me to take him down to 17th...which was the street we were currently on, the same street he was previously running down; and he smelled quite strongly of alcohol. And, as previously stated, he wasn't wearing any shoes.

As we're driving he keeps saying, "It's a bad deal, man."
I ignore him. I do not want this drunken, redneck Hercules of a man telling me anything. He repeats, "It's a bad deal, man." I remain steadfast in my ignorance.

He then says, "I normally don't drink, but I just found out, about twenty minutes ago, that someone, this guy, has been molesting my daughter."
"Oh my god," I say.
"That's awful."
He agrees, because he then says, "So, I'm on my way to kill him."

The sincerity in his voice gave me chills. He then turns his head towards me and says, "but you didn't hear that, and you never met me, but you'll read about it. Here, you can let me out here. Thanks for the ride."

So, after a debate with myself, I decided to call the police. I have yet to hear from them, or any local news outlet, of the result. I am somewhat frightened of this man, having seen where I live and actually, physically being inside my car, barging over one night and expressing (violently) his disappointment with me alerting the authorities. But knowing the Tulsa Police Department, they probably drove through the apartments' parking lot where I dropped him off, decided there wasn't anything of interest, and then went and arrested some black kids.

Is this a great town or what?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude... awesome.

I wouldnt have called the cops though. What he was up to was alright by me.

Keep doing this,
Michael

Anonymous said...

So I understand your story, I too like an idiot aka "good samaritan" picked up a black couple at albertson's one night. They asked for a ride, said it was an emergency and I drove them over to crack town Tulsa, one got out while the other stayed in my car so I wouldn't leave, then as soon as they took care of their "emergency" I got pulled over by the cops, luckily I knew the cops and they didn't search my car. There are some crazies out there, so be careful and don't give them rides.